Wednesday, June 17

Engaged

Tanya Cordova and I are now engaged. I proposed to her last Saturday night. After eating dinner with her family (it was her mom's birthday), I took her out to see "The Importance of Being Ernest" performed at Knock 'Em Dead Dinner Theatre. Afterward we searched frantically for an open ice cream shop to no avail, I drove to the top of Table Rock, that overlooks Boise. We talked for sometime before I read Shakespeare's Sonnets 18 and 130. I then read the following poem that I wrote earlier that week,


My fair lady, my fair love:
Soft as a whisper, light as a dove.
Many come from afar to see your grace,
Among whom, none are worthy to receive your embrace.

Eyes like diamond, and roses for your cheek:
Skin of bronze, and a body of a Greek.
Though, Shakespeare’s woman be not divine,
Thou, art a goddess, whose possession is mine.

A gentle spirit, and a soul that is fair:
Lacking no sympathy, and abounding in care.
I dare not put thee to the test,
For injustice towards the helpless will release a tempest.

What great a treasure, what great a pearl:
How did I come by thee, so great a girl?
Surely, Divine Providence has had its way.
Now quickly, tell me what you say,
For, I ask for your hand this day!

Since we agreed to not proclaim our love of one another while dating, she was quite confused as to what I was doing (we did not speak of any plans of an engagement before this date, so she was completely unsuspecting). I reached behind my seat and present this ring, and asked her if she would marry me. Stunned in disbelief, she said yes, and wept a little.

We are planning on being married on September 12, 2009 at Capital City Christian Church by Tom Velasco.

4 comments:

Brandy said...

aww Justin, that poem is absolutely lovely! I would've cried too. =) I wish you both all the happiness in the world!

Thomas Banks said...

Classy move, Mr. Ranger. I think you're both quite lucky, and wish you all the best.

God bless you both,

Thom

Mr. Robot said...

Thank you, both.

Megan said...

Wow, Justin... gorgeous poem, for a gorgeous girl. I'm so happy for you guys!

Thanks for sharing this story. I wanted to ask, but wasn't sure if I should :)