Thursday, May 4

Jesus is Lord

So with the coming release of the 'Da Vinci Code' movie, some people are starting to make claims that Jesus never claimed to be God. I couldn't find this to be more inaccurate. In the gospels that are in the bible as well as the Gnostic gospels there are many claims that Jesus makes claiming that he is God.
This is one of them...

John 8:57,58 "Then the Jews said to Him, 'You are not yet fifty years old, and You have seen Abraham?' Jesus said to them, ‘Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.’” Immediately after Jesus said this the Jews took up stones to kill Jesus because he was claiming to be God. There is more to the story in the verses that precede and follow these two. But the basic claim that Jesus was making can be seen. He was saying that he was "I AM."
In the Old Testament when Moses is arguing with God over whether he is the right man to be sent to free the Israelites or not, "Then Moses said to God, 'Indeed, when i come to the children of Israel and say to them, "The God of your fathers has sent me to you," and they say to me, "what is His name?" what shall i say to them?' And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM.' and He said, 'Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, "I AM has sent me to you."'" Exodus 3:13,14.
In this Old Testament passage, God is clearly calling himself I AM. Likewise, Jesus is making the same claim in the Gospel of John.

No comments: